“Palermo Essentials” is my collection of links for digital nomads visiting Palermo.
I advice to dedicate a screen of your smartphone to bookmarks related to Palermo, so you can feel the pulse of the city with a look at your smartphone.
This quick guide for nomad workers was inspired by Awesome Linux.
- Open Source Communities
- Cultural Events
- Airbnb - The city of Palermo has an agreement with Airbnb for promoting tourism.
- Booking - A widely used hotel booking website.
- Palermo Airport - Information about flights, bus and train connection to the city centre.
- Moovit APP - Public Transit App, includes city buses and connection to the airport.
- Portale Open Data - Comune di Palermo - Source of the GFTS dataset used by Public Transit Apps.
- AMAT - The company responsible for public transportation in Palermo.
- Trenitalia - The company responsible for Trains transportation in Italy.
- Palermo Centrale - The main railway and bus station.
- Port of Palermo - Information about ferries.
- Mobilita Palermo - Blog about Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure.
- Teatro Politeama - Theatre located in the main square of the modern city center.
- Teatro Massimo - The biggest Opera House in Italy.
- Unesco Arabo Normanna - Information about the World Heritage Sites in Palermo.
- Galleria d’Arte Moderna - Modern Art Museum.
- Mondello Beach - Palermo’s beach. You can choose to visit the beach using one of free paths to the sea or you can pay to enter in areas with services for tourists.
- Santuario Santa Rosalia - The sanctuary on the top of “Monte Pellegrino”, a mountain that surrounds Palermo.
- Renzo Barbera Stadium - Football stadium (open on match days ONLY).
- Rinascente - Italy’s most elegant department store.
- Antica Focacceria San Francesco - Traditional Sicilian Food.
- Fud Bottega Sicula - Modern Sicilian Food.
- Bistrò del Teatro Massimo - Bar inside Teatro Massimo.
- Ballarak - Brewery.
- San Lorenzo Mercato - Store of Sicilian Food.
- Neunoi - Coworking located in the old city center.
- Magneti - Coworking located in the modern city center.
- Scalo 5B - Coworking located inside Fiera del Mediterraneo.
- Open Data Sicilia - Open Data community.
- Palermo PHP User Group - Palermo PHP User Group.
- Palermo Wordpress Meetup - Palermo Wordpress User Group.
- Palermo Python User Group - Palermo Python User Group.
- Goolge Developers Group Palermo - Google Technologies Group.
- Free Circle - Linux Users Group.
- Mozilla Campus Club - Open Source Campus Club.
- Le vie dei Tesori - A festival that promotes the most important Art sites in Palermo,Agrigento, Messina, Caltanissetta, Siracusa.
- Creative Mornings Palermo - Breakfast lecture series for the creative community.
- Una Marina di Libri - Book festival.
- Piano City Palermo - Piano festival.
- WIAD - World Information Architecture Day.
- La Domenica Favorita - An event to discover the biggest park of Palermo.
- Fiera del Mediterraneo - Palermo trade fair.
- La Settimana delle Culture - Festival of Culture.
- La Via dei Librai - Book festival.
- Startup weekend Palermo - 54-hour weekend event to launch startups.
- Open Hub Med - Internet Exchange Point and Datacenter.
- Sicily HUB - Internet Exchange Point and Datacenter.
- Anello Telematico Comunale - Municipal broadband network.
- Open Fiber - Broadband network provider.